Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Running

This is not a weight loss/exercise blog.  Not knocking weight loss/exercise blogs.  They have their purpose and I'm all for them. But the name Fruit Basket Turnover means I don't want to be pigeonholed into "weight loss" blog, "health" blog, "crazy Grandma" blog or whatever.

However.... I'm thinking about starting a running program.  I've been hearing a lot about Couch to 5K which is the whole start out a couch potato and in 8 weeks (or however long it takes you) compete in a 5K.

I...am...not...a...runner.  To quote the Genie in Aladdin "It's not a pretty picture.  I don't like doing it!!"  When everyone else is learning to run as a child, I was having to sit still and try not to pass out.  Running isn't a natural thing for me.  Now, I would run if like my house was on fire or I had a niece/nephew/grandchild running into the street.  But for exercise?  Not happening.  I'll walk, thanks.

But I'm approaching my 40th birthday and I've been doing a lot of "why not?" kind of thinking.  Why am I not trying to run?  Seriously?  Because I can't?  Why not?  "Never having really tried" does not equal "can't".  I'm lazy?  Well, yeah.  That's why the scale is creeping up higher and higher.

What will happen if I try it?  I may find out I like running!!  (Okay...I didn't buy that either.)  I may find out that once I get the mechanics figured out and work my way into it, it's not so bad.  I may find out I have more power than I ever gave myself credit for.  I mean, if other TOF patients can become Olympic snowboarders and triathlon participants, why can't I do a 5K????

So I'm going for it.  I'll see if there are any 5K's around my birthday in April and if so and if I'm ready I'm making a t-shirt that says "I'm 40 and a heart survivor...Bring It!!"  (And any available parents, kids, grandkids, brothers, sisters-in-law,  nieces, nephews, friends...and yes dear, husbands...had better be there to cheer me on!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment